Favorite Comfort Foods

Ever since I moved to Mandailing Natal to start living and working independently, my mom and I have picked up this lovely new habit. We make the first call every night after our Maghrib prayer and dinner. It's become a tradition!

We chat about all sorts of stuff each night, although it's funny how often we discuss the same things. We catch up on our day, discuss our favorite foods, and share what we're up to during our calls. It's become a particular part of our routine.

Our talks would be way more thrilling once I figure out when I can finally return home to see my family. But here's the thing: I'll keep that return date a secret if I need to grab a bus ticket. Why, you ask? Well, it's all about dodging any letdowns in case things don't go exactly as I hope. Being apart from my family has taught me to value every chance I get to be with them.

So, whenever I felt like it was high time for me to head back home, I'd give my mom a shout and request my all-time favorite dish. The kicker? It was everyone's favorite, not just mine. And, without fail, my mom was totally game for it.

The way she said, "That's so easy!" in response to all my special requests, I'm pretty sure Nande had a big, happy grin.

Mie Rebus Medan

When our dad was still actively involved with perwiridan in our neighborhood, we treated the members to some mouthwatering Mie Rebus Medan after we wrapped up Surah Yasin. There's this unspoken consensus that anything whipped up by Mom would be a culinary delight. And trust me, it always is—absolutely scrumptious!

We even thought about Mom setting up her Mie Rebus Medan specialty stall once she retired. Who would want to avoid savoring her delicious creations regularly?

It's all about that perfect blend of mashed shrimp and dried sweet prawns that give the broth savory richness and thickness. My mom, is a stickler for quality, so only the finest brown sugar finds its way into her recipe.

It's crucial to strike that well-balanced chord regarding spices and seasonings. And here's a little secret – she adds a dash of Mamak's Love spice to take the deliciousness up a notch.
Comfort food is the food that makes us feel good - satisfied, calm, cared for, and carefree. It's food that fills us up emotionally and physically. Finding comfort in food is a basic human experience. - Ellie Krieger

Besides being incredibly comforting, this one thing about a bowl of these noodles always gets me thinking. How can we spend hours prepping a meal but then gobble it down in just a few minutes? 🍜 It's like a culinary paradox!

Soto Medan

Oh, you know, besides the delightful Mie Rebus Medan, we've got another ace up our sleeves – Soto Medan. But let me tell you, my mom's Soto is something else, especially for me. It's got this unique touch to it. And here's the kicker: those banana-leaf-wrapped rice cakes, also known as lontong, take eight hours to simmer away on our old-school wood-fired stove. Yep, it's a labor of love and patience that pays off.

So, picture this: a rich, golden broth made from creamy coconut milk and a medley of ground spices generously poured over chunks of rice cakes. That's what we're dealing with when it comes to this dish, and it's served up with a whole lineup of delicious extras.

You've got your crunchy bean sprouts, the irresistible shredded fried chicken, some soft potato wedges, and even the often controversial beef tripe. Now, I get it – tripe might not be everyone's cup of tea, but trust me, it's the secret ingredient that ties everything together in my Soto. And the grand finale? Don't forget to sprinkle some fresh celery leaves, a handful of crispy fried shallots, and a chili sauce drizzle on top. It's an explosion of flavors and downright delicious, believe me!
When our beloved grandmother was still with us, Soto was our secret weapon to convince her to stay with us for extended periods, sometimes weeks. This dish was so irresistible that it could even make our typically finicky grandma seem quite agreeable, holding her rightful throne at the very top of our family hierarchy on my mom's side.

She had been dealing with heart problems for quite a while, and with its comforting flavors, Soto was like a warm embrace that brought comfort and joy to her. It was more than just a meal; it was a cherished connection. Every single time she paid us a visit, we were absolutely thrilled. No matter how irritating she could sometimes be, there was no denying that Tigan always spoke the truth.

Yet, what truly mattered most was the immense, unconditional love she showered upon us, and we felt it deep down to our core. God blessed us with these two remarkable women, and we're beyond grateful.

It's a mystery why Mom's cooking has this magical way of satisfying everyone under our roof. There are many places where we can grab similar dishes with various options. But here's the kicker: Nande's culinary creations have set the bar pretty high, and I've unconsciously started measuring everything I eat elsewhere against her excellent meals.

And you know what? It's justified because every spoonful of her broth isn't just about flavors; it's a package of love, warmth, sincerity, and compassion. She infuses every dish with a little piece of her heart.

Comments